Thursday, May 31, 2012

History of the early church

I know my posts are sporadic at best, but I try to share things whenever I find something interesting. Today I found something I think is worth sharing. At some point in my walk I started reading about church history. The early Christians really had some amazing , and brave souls willing to die for their faith. One of these brave men was Ignatius of Antioch. St. Ignatius became the third bishop of Antioch, succeeding St. Evodius, who was the immediate successor of St. Peter. He heard St. John preach when he was a boy and knew St. Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna. Seven of his letters written to various Christian communities have been preserved. Eventually, he received the martyr's crown as he was thrown to wild beasts in the arena.

"Consider how contrary to the mind of God are the heterodox in regard to the grace of God which has come to us. They have no regard for charity, none for the widow, the orphan, the oppressed, none for the man in prison, the hungry or the thirsty. They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they do not admit that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, the flesh which suffered for our sins and which the Father, in His graciousness, raised from the dead."

"Letter to the Smyrnaeans", paragraph 6. circa 80-110 A.D.

"Take care, then who belong to God and to Jesus Christ - they are with the bishop. And those who repent and come to the unity of the Church - they too shall be of God, and will be living according to Jesus Christ. Do not err, my brethren: if anyone follow a schismatic, he will not inherit the Kingdom of God. If any man walk about with strange doctrine, he cannot lie down with the passion. Take care, then, to use one Eucharist, so that whatever you do, you do according to God: for there is one Flesh of our Lord Jesus Christ, and one cup in the union of His Blood; one altar, as there is one bishop with the presbytery and my fellow servants, the deacons."

-Epistle to the Philadelphians, 3:2-4:1, 110 A.D.
Although these letters are not considered inspired, or part of the canon, they give you a sense of what the earliest Christians believed. Ignatious heard John the evangelist preach as a boy, his letters are written while the apostles were still alive. I have learned so much about Jesus from my Protestant brothers and sisters. I listen to evangelical radio all day. I only hope I can return the favor to them, and help them see the truth about the catholic church. Every doctrine is scriptural. From papal infallibility to purgatory to Mary to the sacraments. Sadly not many Catholics know their own faith well enough to explain it. The Eucharist is Jesus's most beautiful gift given to us, and most Catholics don't even know what they have. If anyone is curious to know anything about the catholic church please ask. So many people have a misconception of what Catholics truly believe. Thank you all for reading my blog, especially Joyce , who always encourages me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! Very interesting!
    When I was going to the Catholic church I did not get anything out of it, partly because of my own lack of interest. When I go now, I really enjoy the sermon, and the readings. I get it! I come away fulfilled like I do in my own church.
    I also know some really deep spiritual Catholic people, who love the lord jesus. Just like any church, there are church goers, and people that are Christians. Christian Catholic, or Christian Protestant. We all serve our Lord Jesus.

    Blessings,

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce your comments are always a blessing. Anyone who calls God father is part of his family. If it weren't for a Protestant pastor I may never have had my faith awakened. He made me realize how important a personal relationship with Jesus is. He gave me a passion for scripture, and a hunger for God. I thank God for people like you who don't judge a person because of a catholic label. Thank you for reading my blog. God bless you.

      Delete