Friday, May 25, 2012

Where is truth

I've been listening to a lot of evangelist radio lately, and I recently heard a sermon preached on truth. The pastor speaking asked a question about subjective truth. He asked, is truth subjective? Or is there a real truth. As Christians we believe truth is not objective. Meaning truth is universal, truth doesn't change with the individual. What's true for me is also true for you. If the subject is abortion the truth is that it's wrong, in any circumstance. I agree with what I heard completely. But what about the truth when it comes to Christianity? There are so many different denominations, and all claim to have the truth. Baptists believe once you're saved you can't lose your salvation, Methodists believe you can lose it. Some believe baptism is necessary some don't. If there is only one truth, there should only be one denomination. We shouldn't be picking a faith that fits our lifestyle , we should be picking a faith that proclaims the truth. The only truth.
Consecrate them in the truth. Your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world. And I consecrate myself for them, so that they also may be consecrated in truth. “I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me.
-John 17:17-21 (NABRE)
Jesus's prayer in the farewell discourse was for us to be one. How is it that we can ever be one when so many break off to start a church that better fits a truth they can handle? There is only one truth, the question is, where is it found? I'm not here to promote any specific church. I'm only asking that we search for the truth. Which church most closely resembles the church the apostles set up? Research , seek, and find the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment