Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sometimes I find new things in the bible that excite me. I did a study on the gospel of John recently and found a few things I had never known before. Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has blasphemed! What further need have we of witnesses? You have now heard the blasphemy; -Matthew 26:65 (NABRE) The act of the high priest tearing his robe is significant. I had never even thought of what it meant. In the gospel of John , John points out something only he knew. When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his clothes and divided them into four shares, a share for each soldier. They also took his tunic, but the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece from the top down. So they said to one another, “Let’s not tear it, but cast lots for it to see whose it will be, ” in order that the passage of scripture might be fulfilled [that says]:“They divided my garments among them, and for my vesture they cast lots.”This is what the soldiers did. -John 19:23-24 (NABRE) John was the only disciple at the foot of the cross. He notices that Jesus's tunic is not torn. The tunic of the old high priest is torn, and the tunic of the new high priest is not. This signifies the end of the old high priesthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment